Modding a Wah Shell

Started by rockhorst, July 23, 2012, 06:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockhorst

I've got an empty Crybaby shell that I want to use for a Madbean Weener Wah. The project requires drilling some holes in the shell. I also want to sand it down to a metal shine. Now I recall some posts here saying that those wah shells are pretty tough to drill and handle. Any tips? (I've got some new HSS step drills). Any tips on how to get the new pot holes nice and flush? (since the shell is slightly trapezoid).
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

asatbluesboy

Mine felt a bit sturdier than your regular NS box, but nothing a good stepped bit would complain about. Also, most new-ish Crybabies have pre-punched holes for LEDs and all, and those are surely easier to drill. As for the flush thing, the angle doesn't seem to be any trouble, as the knobs get angled as well.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

joegagan

the shells drill fine. the metal is fine on most eras. after the mid 90s they are really consistent.
your added pots will be at the angle of the sides, i assume. just get the shell firmly supported, drill perpendicular to the actual face. a little thread cutting or drilling oil will help. you can use wd40 in a pinch.
for this task i prefer a hand held drill over a press, the setup to get the angle square is a pain.

lately i have been putting an input gain control on some customer wahs tucked under the treadle. i use omeg 20mm pots for this, you could sneak in two or three under there if you used little 9mm pots.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Paul Marossy

Quote from: joegagan on July 23, 2012, 08:33:08 PM
the shells drill fine. the metal is fine on most eras. after the mid 90s they are really consistent.
your added pots will be at the angle of the sides, i assume. just get the shell firmly supported, drill perpendicular to the actual face. a little thread cutting or drilling oil will help. you can use wd40 in a pinch.
for this task i prefer a hand held drill over a press, the setup to get the angle square is a pain.

lately i have been putting an input gain control on some customer wahs tucked under the treadle. i use omeg 20mm pots for this, you could sneak in two or three under there if you used little 9mm pots.

I've had that thought for a pot location before, but never have actually done it. I don't like having pots on the side of a wah pedal.

rockhorst

Cool, thanks! I want to start sanding down the paint tomorrow. Is it wise to disassemble the shell? Like tapping out the axial pin? Or would that be difficult to restore afterwards?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: rockhorst on July 26, 2012, 05:42:18 PM
Cool, thanks! I want to start sanding down the paint tomorrow. Is it wise to disassemble the shell? Like tapping out the axial pin? Or would that be difficult to restore afterwards?

It's very easy to take apart and put back together if you have a correct sized center punch for the job.

pinkjimiphoton

+1 on paul....

but...make SURE you put it in the right way, it's "keyed" or knurled or whatever on one side.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

rogerinIowa

I have refinished a number of the shells, even had one "show Chromed" by AIH, a local chroming outfit here in Dubuque IA that specializes in hot-rod work. If you disassemble the shell you will find it easier to get a consistant finish by sanding and what not. I like to use a friends sandblaster and it quickly removes the old powder coat while providing a truly consistant surface. handle the bare shell with gloves or the finger marks left by the oil in your skin will show as it oxidizes.

you can get great results with a random orbit sander and some wet sanding too.

best of luck!

rogeriniowa
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.

joegagan

ahh chrome! that is cool. i appreciate the tips, sounds like you are a hotrodder too?
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

rockhorst

I'm probably going to wet sand it and then spray it lightly with some clear to prevent oxidation.

Another question: going for a light emitting border as well (plexiglass). I've got some 5mm and 8mm blue LEDs. Would a single one dead in the middle be sufficient? Quite a large area to cover, but as long as it traps the light, I guess it could work.

rogerinIowa

Quote from: joegagan on July 27, 2012, 12:05:20 PM
ahh chrome! that is cool. i appreciate the tips, sounds like you are a hotrodder too?

cant afford it anymore on my Govt job wages and family spending schedule...but i like to incorporate aspects of of my love of old hotrod culture into the pedal projects. The Chrome wah is so mirrored you could shave with it :) that is not an exaggeration either.
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.