Which fuzz for a pair of AC176?

Started by alex_spaceman, July 28, 2012, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex_spaceman

Hi everyone, been a while!
Anyway, I have a pair of AC176 ready to be used and although I've been toying with the idea of building a couple of Ge Rangemasters the temptation to build a fuzz might well prove too strong to be resisted.
So my question is simple: what Ge fuzz would you build with them? I'm not looking for anything in particular, so please do let me know which ones you prefer and why. Thanks for the inputs!

LucifersTrip

need to know the hfe's & leakages to give any suggestions
always think outside the box

trjones1

You only have 2?  I've had luck building a couple different MKII Tonebenders with those transistors, but you'll need 3.  I wasn't even picky about gains or leakage when I made them, just tweaked the circuits on the breadboard until they sounded good.    Maybe experiment with a si/ge hybrid. 

alex_spaceman

thought about getting another pair for a tonebender, which would leave me a spare one for a rangemaster...

was also curious to try the bazz fuss with germanium darlington, read good things about it.

will measure hfe later today and let you guys know what they're like

alex_spaceman

haven't had a chance to take a look, but according to the (trusted) source  it has a hfe between 50 and 180, the IC is 300mA max.
Will update when I get my hands on them!