BSIAB2 Problem, please help!

Started by juan_felt, July 31, 2012, 11:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juan_felt

Hi, I just finished making a GGG BSIAB2, but I get no sound when the effect is on. Bypass sounds perfect. I checked all the transistors, and I realized that 3 of them where inverted. Instead of using the 2N5457 I used BF245A. I placed them in the right position and the voltage readings started to make some sense, but still no sound. At one point I lifted the PCB to check all the solders again and I must have accidentally touched the solder part of  Q5 and the pedal started working! This transistor is the one that had the weird readings, I tried touching the pins with a screwdriver, and when I shorted pins G and S it worked.

Why Could this be? Thanks!

juan_felt

Here are the readings,

Q1
D=5.1
S=0.7
G=0.01

Q2
D=9
S=5.1
G=3

Q3
D=4.3
S=0.75
G=0.3

Q4
D=8.9
S=4.4
G=3

Q5
D=8.6
S=1.94
G=0.02

Pyr0

Your Q5 voltages are off from the GGG recommended voltages. It's not biased right.
Have you tried adjusting the 100k trim pot to get roughly 4 volts on the drain of Q5 ?

juan_felt

Quote from: Pyr0 on July 31, 2012, 11:52:26 AM
Your Q5 voltages are off from the GGG recommended voltages. It's not biased right.
Have you tried adjusting the 100k trim pot to get roughly 4 volts on the drain of Q5 ?

Yes, I tried, but the voltage lowers almost nothing.

Pyr0

Double check component values for R14 and R15, also check that area for good solder joints and the q5 soldering and orientation.

juan_felt

The values are OK. At first sight everything seems to be fine. It's weird that it worked when I shorted the G and S ends of the transistor...  ???

Pyr0

It's not really weird at all, that transistor is not correctly biased, so it's not passing and amplifying the signal from gate to source, when you shorted out G S you bypassed the transistor and the signal came through. At least it looks like everything else is working up to that transistor. Keep looking in that area, maybe even a small solder bridge somewhere between tracks, or an open circuit on some component where it's not properly soldered.

juan_felt

Good, now I know! I'll triple check the area again and see what happens. Thank you! (I'll be back with what happened!)