Noise after modding a Boss CS3 to Ovnilabs mod

Started by Pfitz, August 06, 2012, 04:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfitz

Hi,

i bought a Boss Cs3 on Ebay and wanted it to mod it to the http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cs3modding.shtml. mod. Since I can not do this by myself i asked a good friend to do the modding. He ordered the parts mentioned on the page and followed the instructions. The mod itself is working perfectly but when I do not play there is a lot of noise and we both think that is not correct (he checked it too with his bass player too).

The instructions say to wirejump the R32 and the D10. My friend told me that these had already been wirejumped and he did not changed these. Could this be a possible problem?

Are there any other possibilites to check or modifie the cs 3 for less noise?

Thanks for your help.

GGBB

Not likely to be a cause of noise.  Older CS-3 units required the Boss ACA 12V power supply and used D10 and R32 to bring the voltage down to 9V.  At some point during the life of the CS-3 Boss switched to the PSA 9V supply and began jumpering D10 and R32.  So depending on the age of your pedal, you may or may not have those components (see if the back of the pedal says to use a PSA or ACA power supply).  It's also possible to just do that mod to a 12V ACA CS-3 in order to use it with a 9V supply.

One of the common ways to lower noise in the CS-3 is to stack one of the op-amps (use two op-amps in parallel in place of one).  This is what the "plus" in the Monte Allums Opto Plus CS-3 mod is.  It does help a fair bit, but if your noise has gone up since your mod, maybe something else is the problem.
  • SUPPORTER

Andr3as