recommend me an amp

Started by jogina111, August 17, 2012, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jogina111

Please
recommend me a very simple guitar amp 3 to 5 watts and
can be loud. No FETs and powered by 9 to 12v.

Johan

9-12volt, no FETs

3-5watt

Loud

..in my opinion, it's like asking for a dinky toy that can pull a train.. ;)
J
DON'T PANIC

jogina111

Seljer

Quote from: jogina111 on August 20, 2012, 09:52:50 AM
how loud is the smokey?

It entirely depends on how good of a speaker you hook it up to.

midwayfair

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Mike Burgundy

low-wattage amps rely mostly on speaker efficiency. Start with a speaker with as close to 100dB/1W@1m that you can find (doubt you'll get 100, though, but they're out there, such as an Eminence Ramrod ) of the appropriate size (tone and loudness vs portability, 8" will probably be the minimum you can get away with, 10" would be nicer but is larger and requires a larger cab), get the cabinet design right then try fitting amps to it. The smokey is more than easy enough to start with regardless. If that doesn't do it for you, try mods (preamp perhaps), or try a more involved amp and work your way up.

iccaros

Quote from: jogina111 on August 17, 2012, 10:57:20 AM
Please
do you want 3 - 5 watts clean?  from 9 - 12v you are stretching to meet that with out serious current draw, and no FETS why?

things you did not tell us,
type of music, do you play the amp or is it just there to make you louder. IF you do not understand the concept we will go with louder

I have not found a good sounding 3 - 5watt amp off 9 -12v, Smokey is good but 1/2 watt clean 1 watt with distortion. a efficient speaker will help, but will not make these amps you can play with a band without miking.

So to complete to answer this with out throwing darts at a board we need

type of music
type of player
do you use effects
do you want it clean for the full output or do you want it to get dirty

jogina111

Quote from: iccaros on August 20, 2012, 12:41:00 PM
Quote from: jogina111 on August 17, 2012, 10:57:20 AM
Please
do you want 3 - 5 watts clean?  from 9 - 12v you are stretching to meet that with out serious current draw, and no FETS why?

things you did not tell us,
type of music, do you play the amp or is it just there to make you louder. IF you do not understand the concept we will go with louder

I have not found a good sounding 3 - 5watt amp off 9 -12v, Smokey is good but 1/2 watt clean 1 watt with distortion. a efficient speaker will help, but will not make these amps you can play with a band without miking.

So to complete to answer this with out throwing darts at a board we need

type of music:all kinds.
type of player:I dont know how to say it in words..I do use effects and I want it clean but a toggle switch for distortion is very helpful...

Mike Burgundy

Steve - good point. One might consider car stereo amplifiers-on-a-chip for something like that - designed for 12V, with a few tricks deliver 20-70W, clean as far as were concerned.
Example: tda1562. I've been contemplating this for bass... but never got around to trying some.

iccaros

markeebee

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mono-Audio-Power-Amplifier-20W-2x-TDA-2003-Assembling-Kit-Circuit-HK1002-/160842979643?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2572fd193b

will give you maybe about 5W into an 8ohm speaker at about 12V supply.  That can actually be quite loud!

You'll need to use a pre-amp with this though, but that could just be a pedal that you alrerady have with a fairly high output.  In fact I've just made one into a pedal-sized amp using a Runoffgroove Thor as a front-end preamp and it works quite nicely.

EDIT:
There are loads of schematics and PCB layouts for this type of amp on the net, here's one:
http://electropart.info/schematic-diagrams/18w-bridge-amplifier-using-dual-tda2003.html/attachment/tda2003-18w-bridge-amplifier-pcb-layout