Eric Johnson Signature Fuzz Face

Started by Paul Marossy, August 22, 2012, 12:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Saw this in an add in the latest issue of Guitar Player magazine. Anyone know what the difference is between this and your run of the mill Fuzz Face? Just curious is all....

Kesh

It uses silicon npn instead of germanium pnp. So it's cheap and easy to make and can be used with regular power supplies.

Paul Marossy

Mark Hammer

Paul Marossy

tiges_ tendres

This one is biased lower, around 3 Volts on Q2 and uses BC183L transistors.

There's also some stuff on the underside of the board, an smd trimpot and a SMD resistor in series with one of the caps to replicate the functionality of a crappy cap.
Try a little tenderness.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on August 22, 2012, 01:37:41 PM
This one is biased lower, around 3 Volts on Q2 and uses BC183L transistors.

There's also some stuff on the underside of the board, an smd trimpot and a SMD resistor in series with one of the caps to replicate the functionality of a crappy cap.

Interesting. Well, I guess if that's what it takes to "replicate" the sound of his favorite FF...

deadastronaut

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 22, 2012, 12:57:58 PM
You can look for other differences here: http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.ca/2012/01/dunlop-eric-johnson-signature-fuzz-face.html

is it just me or does that ''eric johnson video fuzz face'' sound @#$%ing awful?.....are they deaf?.. :icon_eek:

and they spent 6 years on it... :D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

seedlings

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 23, 2012, 09:59:04 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 22, 2012, 12:57:58 PM
You can look for other differences here: http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.ca/2012/01/dunlop-eric-johnson-signature-fuzz-face.html

is it just me or does that ''eric johnson video fuzz face'' sound @#$%ing awful?.....are they deaf?.. :icon_eek:

They designed it through a 65 amps Soho.

CHAD

Paul Marossy

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 23, 2012, 09:59:04 AM

I agree, sounds like crap. But the problem is that he ain't Eric Johnson. If Eric were playing it, it would sound completely different....

joegagan

the last time i saw EJ here in NM, his lead tone was soft, mushy and uninspired. i have heard him get some great FF tones on studio recordings, but i think his live rig suffers from the myopia of his perfectionism.  and, like the emperor wearing new clothes, no one has the heart to tell him his lead tone lacks balls.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: joegagan on August 23, 2012, 12:17:49 PM
the last time i saw EJ here in NM, his lead tone was soft, mushy and uninspired. i have heard him get some great FF tones on studio recordings, but i think his live rig suffers from the myopia of his perfectionism.  and, like the emperor wearing new clothes, no one has the heart to tell him his lead tone lacks balls.

So the "Cliffs Of Dover" kind of sounds are a thing of the past now?  :icon_neutral:

garcho

Much prefer this fuzz (1:50 minute mark)

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

joegagan

i hear an attack on the front of the note on the single note lines on the original recording of cliffs of dover that was lacking in his live tone. he seems to have overcompressed himself into oblivion.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: joegagan on August 23, 2012, 12:55:14 PM
i hear an attack on the front of the note on the single note lines on the original recording of cliffs of dover that was lacking in his live tone. he seems to have overcompressed himself into oblivion.

Oh gee. I HATE compressors for reasons such as that. I never use compressors, ever.

wavley

I heard that his tone really went downhill when he stopped using rubber bands to hold on the bottoms of his fuzz faces and went back to using screws.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Paul Marossy

Quote from: wavley on August 23, 2012, 01:52:28 PM
I heard that his tone really went downhill when he stopped using rubber bands to hold on the bottoms of his fuzz faces and went back to using screws.

Oh! Poor guy. Someone should tell him!  :icon_lol:

DougH

Quote from: joegagan on August 23, 2012, 12:17:49 PM

Saw him many years ago and he sounded pretty good. Then he brought out the SG and his guitar sound flushed itself down the toilet...

Listened to Venus Isle recently and I couldn't get over what a horribly mixed recording it was. I bet they didn't EQ his guitar at all in the mixdown. It sounds like it anyway, there's a big waxy buildup of midrange mud that obscures everything.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"