Aron check the schematic

Started by Gus, August 24, 2012, 09:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

It does bear a striking resemblance, doesn't it, Gus?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Govmnt_Lacky

OK... I'll bite.

Resembles what?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

slacker

Gus

look for "the rocket" in schematics, link at the top of this page.  Schematics has some good stuff in it

midwayfair

oh come on, they changed C7 and C8 and added a small cap just after the input cap! Totally different circuit!

:icon_rolleyes:
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Derringer

does the input buffer create an asymmetrical signal?
I'm looking at the 470K / 1M voltage divider

DougH

Quote from: Derringer on August 24, 2012, 01:43:44 PM
does the input buffer create an asymmetrical signal?
I'm looking at the 470K / 1M voltage divider

With a 100mv-1000mv guitar pickup signal? Hardly.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

aron

That's great!!!!!! Just change the caps to make a Rocket!!!!!

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

joegagan

if i had seen that schem i would have recognized it right away.

for people who weren't around in 99 or so, the rocket was a slight mod on gus smalley's excellent "3 trans fuzz". it was one of the first circuits i ever built, and it smoked. especially for the live loud blues rock we were doing on the road at the time.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

bluesdevil

Sheeeeesh!!!
On the other hand it makes me want to build a "Rocket", which I can't believe I have not done yet.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

pinkjimiphoton

gus's pedals ROCK, bro..

rocket's on my list, too

god....so many excellent circuits...life is so short...and i've built so much stuff soon i'll need a bigger house!

and i still want to build MORE...

HIGHLY reccomend gus's octave up sick box!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Gus

The rocket is more Aron's design
It has a drive control and tone control and the distortion section is set at  full gain.

IIRC The three transistor was inspired by one of the Jen fuzz schematics I found on the web back in the 90's a buffer to a ff like circuit.

What is a little different about the 3 transistor
the EF biasing 470k, 1meg
the FF like distortion section note the 10k collector 100 ohm emitter, the lowpass filter at the output, the bias control, thick thin switch
You could also buy parts at Radio Shack
here is a sim for DC points, change cap values etc, R11 1K fuzz gain C5 to wiper, R12 5K bias (CCW 0, CW 5K) for how I might build it today

I did not see the free stomp boxes schematic thread that started in 09 until  the other day.
Has anyone checked that the traced schematic is correct in the free stomp boxes thread?

pinkjimiphoton

sorry gus, my bad...sorry aron!

i compared "the rocket" to this one last nite, other than making a couple coupling caps smaller,, it's virtually identical to the rocket.

i mean, IDENTICAL.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

rockhorst

I'm having a hard time having an opinion on this one...It sort of reminds me of the whole Fulltone/Mini Booster thing from years back. AFAIK, it's okay to copy circuits and they actually HAVE to market it differently because otherwise they infringe on the copyright (which is on stuff like names and pcb designs, not on the circuit). Is it an original circuit? Heck no. Did they use it as a building block to make something of their own? Heck no. Would it have been better if they had? Probably. But there isn't that much left in the world of dirt boxes that hasn't been done/tried/failed.

Either you become a business, market the rocket and be a fierce competitor...or accept that you've shared a circuit with the world and never expected it to be a commercial succes. Everybody is cloning everybody. I was thinking about this myself the other week: I put up a circuit 'design' that used a well known amp which I used to mod a well known (and commercially succesful) pedal and tweaked some values to my liking. Yes I'd be slightly flabbergasted if some company adopted it and started making huge profits. It would be nice of them to give me some credits and also the other guys who's circuit I 'ripped off'. On the other hand, I put it up here, free for everyone to see, breadboard and give feedback. It's a bit like Tetris: that would've been a real money maker for the designer, if only...

Somehow, it's weird that we expect one way traffic: we can clone the hell out of everything (for personal use, and for our band mates...oh and their nephews), but nobody may clone us (unless it's for our band mates and their nephews).

So far for my first post in a topic that seems to be headed towards ethics. Of course, Gus and Aron haven't stated that their actually upset or anything. They're probably just laughing their asses off, reminiscing stories about the good old days...or something like that.
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

Gus

rockhorst

I am more amused

I never stated the 3 transistor was anything special. 
I do not like the EF biasing I often see in schematics so I used the 470k, 1meg, 10k for the guitar loading and emitter voltage I wanted with parts you could buy in the late 90's at Radio Shack. 
The distortion stage has a 10k collector 100 ohm emitter setup for the open loop gain of the first distortion stage transistor(IIRC this was posted before the 33K, 100 ohm you can find on another circuit, what does the 100 ohm do with a 33k collector for open loop gain?). 
The collector leg of the 2nd distortion transistor has a lowpass filter that I had not seen before on a FF like circuit(before the axis fuzz). 
The external bias control is done in a different manner, look at Vox schematics and FF like circuits with a 2K gain control.  The potentiometer is a design for the gated to compressed sound you can get 0 to 5K,  you can use a 1k gain control and something around 1K fixed for a good sounding bias. 
Thin and thick switch are for live loud playing and in house lower sound level playing.

Kesh

If you patent a genuinely novel circuit, you have 20 years in which no one can copy it without giving you royalties. If you don't file a patent, you are probably screwed.