Found Roland Jet Phaser in the garbage

Started by pappasmurfsharem, August 27, 2012, 12:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

So I found one in the garbage. It is unfortunately water damaged beyond use. I see lots of goodies on it. Would there be any use for it? I don't know if anyone has ever made one. I believe I saw a schematic on the gallery.

Would there be any benefit in donating it to one of the gurus here?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

RandomGlitch

Pictures or it didn't happen!

I'd get rid of as much water if any remains inside, unscrew all the innards,  stick it in a warm dry place for a few days, maybe a squirt or three of contact cleaner, see what happens, if nothing just see what's fixable, what's not.  Take lots of notes/photos before you start to remove components from board, you've at least got a template to work from.

Yeah I'm sure there'd be plenty of takers to try it if you don't anyway!

What I want to know is: What kind of garbage do you have around there, why was phaser in watery place and what were you don't rummaging about in garbage in first place? 

;D ;D ;D

artifus

Quote from: RandomGlitch on August 27, 2012, 01:46:08 AMI'd get rid of as much water if any remains inside, unscrew all the innards,  stick it in a warm dry place for a few days...

put it in a bag or container covered with some uncooked rice for a day or two to draw out any moisture.

Mike Burgundy

rinsing with water and letting it dry works just fine. Trouble with rice is it has a tendency to get *into* stuff (like pots), where it deposits starch and possibly whole grains (which swell with moisture - they get in but can't get out)
Sticky starch all over pcb's also isn't nice, collects additional dirt and may cause shorts. It does work as long as you manage to keep it away from the actual electronics, but like I said there's nothing wrong with rinsing it with lukewarm water as long as you make sure there's no power (duh) and dry thoroughly afterwards -  as in a couple of days on a radiator, finish off with a blowdryer for good measure.
Somebody I know just found this out the hard way, dumping rice all over the FOH mixer after a beer went through it, after which somebody had to deal with the resulting sticky mess. Think of *all* those faders....

Edit - spelling

Good find! Hope it gets restored ;P

artifus

good point on the rice - i hadn't considered that. it's a technique i've only used with phones and mp3 players still in their casing.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: RandomGlitch on August 27, 2012, 01:46:08 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen!

I'd get rid of as much water if any remains inside, unscrew all the innards,  stick it in a warm dry place for a few days, maybe a squirt or three of contact cleaner, see what happens, if nothing just see what's fixable, what's not.  Take lots of notes/photos before you start to remove components from board, you've at least got a template to work from.

Yeah I'm sure there'd be plenty of takers to try it if you don't anyway!

What I want to know is: What kind of garbage do you have around there, why was phaser in watery place and what were you don't rummaging about in garbage in first place? 

;D ;D ;D

The thing has probably been sitting for a good long while it is no longer wet, just nasty looking.
Also the innards were already apart like this when I found it so who knows what happened to it

After a little rub down from my last Chem Pad (pre-moistened isopropyl alcohol pad)
Would still need to Q-Tip it a bit. I don't know if it would work honestly. All the pots and the rotary knobs are seized up, easily identifiable from their marking and replaceable.

Mike Burgundy

Looks like that's been sitting in a septic tank, but entirely salvageable. Replace the pots and switch, stop the rust on the casing (but I'd leave it on - there's a chemical available from autoshops that bonds turning it into an inert solid. Do beware, it's nasty stuff to handle. Clean steel thoroughly with water, dry, treat, wait 24hrs, rinse thoroughly with water, dry, done), rewire and with some luck it'll work without any extra debugging!

oldschoolanalog

It's really not all that bad. Clean, dry, make sure its assembled correctly (the service notes are online), and test.
The pots are an easy replacement. Might want to do the switches too.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on August 27, 2012, 08:52:02 AM
It's really not all that bad. Clean, dry, make sure its assembled correctly (the service notes are online), and test.
The pots are an easy replacement. Might want to do the switches too.

There is some minor corrosion on the legs of one of the IC's and some of the transistors. Any recommendations?

ANyone have any idea what the small small "gate board" is for?

nosamiam

You guys sure are optimistic! Don't forget, it was in the trash. So it may need debugging after the de-yucking.

armdnrdy

The small "gate" board contains an input buffer and a "soft" switching circuit. (FET bypass) The first version of the Jet Flanger didn't have this arrangement.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Paul Marossy

Quote from: nosamiam on August 27, 2012, 09:46:04 AM
Don't forget, it was in the trash. So it may need debugging after the de-yucking.

I think that's probably a given.  :icon_wink:

amptramp

The board has solder mask on it, meaning the copper traces were protected.  It appears to have been flow soldered meaning any open copper areas are now coated in solder which is reasonably inert.  Corrosion on transistor and IC pins is not critical as long as it has stopped.  Cleaning and drying should arrest all corrosion-related issues.  If you have a soft switching circuit, you could transform it into true bypass without much effort.

Debugging may be simple if the unit was submerged then the former owner tried to use it - once cleaned up, it may work.  I had a calculator go through the wash in a shirt pocket once and it did not work after I tried it, but a week later it was back in operation after it had dried out.  Not the same technology, but a similar issue.

Puguglybonehead

"Arrrrh!!! I'm sick of it! He uses that darned Jet Phaser thing on every single song! I simply can't take it anymore. I know what I'll do. I'll hide it! Next time he leaves the practice space, I'll take it and put it somewhere. Hmmmm... where to put it? The closet? No. The Bathroom? The Toilet? Oh, yeah, the toilet tank! He'll never find it there in a million years!!"

Seriously though, nice find! Hope it fires up after restoration.

RandomGlitch

Quote from: Puguglybonehead on August 27, 2012, 11:43:25 PM
"Arrrrh!!! I'm sick of it! He uses that darned Jet Phaser thing on every single song! I simply can't take it anymore. I know what I'll do. I'll hide it! Next time he leaves the practice space, I'll take it and put it somewhere. Hmmmm... where to put it? The closet? No. The Bathroom? The Toilet? Oh, yeah, the toilet tank! He'll never find it there in a million years!!"

Seriously though, nice find! Hope it fires up after restoration.

LOL!! I knew a guitarist like that once! Maximum swirl on every song!

newperson

Neat find.  Get a soft brush or toothbrush, simple green, and running sink water and give that thing a scrubbing.  Getting electronics wet will generally not hurt them.  It is the the electricity being applied before being dry part that does the damage.  A fan on the board for a day will usually be enough to be certain that it is all dry.  

It would be simple enough to recap it after you get it cleaned.  Put sockets in all the IC spots.  Just replace all the ICs if you want easier troubleshooting.  Usually they are easy enough to find for something like this.  Replace all the switches, pots, and power clips.  Check the wiring to make sure it is all good, or just replace it to be sure.

And then try it out.  Looks like a super fun project!  Jealous.  

And I will start the bidding at $40 dollars if you don't want it!