What's the easiest way to finish a stomp box?

Started by Toxic Tom, September 23, 2012, 02:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toxic Tom

What is the easiest way to get some colour on my aluminium box and protect it from corrosion? I don't really wanna use dangerous chemicals or bake it...

Suggestions?

Seljer

For the most colour for least effort: colour inkjet printer + self adhesive paper + drown it in lacquer to make it last

Toxic Tom

Quote from: Seljer on September 23, 2012, 02:15:26 PM
For the most colour for least effort: colour inkjet printer + self adhesive paper + drown it in lacquer to make it last
Cool! Any specific type of sticky paper or lacquer needed?

Quackzed

easier maybee is a can of hammertone paint...1. clean the box 2. spray a few coats 3. have a beer and wait till it dries.  8)
its pretty tough/protective, looks good, is easy to do if you've used spray paint b4. one thing though, its a hammered finish effect so it comes out looking hammered so waterslide decals will be out because the finish isnt flat....

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Quackzed on September 23, 2012, 03:33:56 PM
easier maybee is a can of hammertone paint...1. clean the box 2. spray a few coats 3. have a beer and wait till it dries.  8)
its pretty tough/protective, looks good, is easy to do if you've used spray paint b4. one thing though, its a hammered finish effect so it comes out looking hammered so waterslide decals will be out because the finish isnt flat....

One note to add to this:

You are not guaranteed the "hammertone" finish every time!

I have used this type of paint on several different enclosure types and every so often you get a flat paint look from it. This can become complicated if you get some of the box with the hammer toned look and other portions with a flat look.

Just from my experience  :-\

Of course, you could ask John Lyons who is a master of the Hammertone look  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

LucifersTrip

hammered paint is a little more difficult than normal paint to get "right". you need a little experience to get that hammered look to pop out consistently.  while other paint I have usually says "apply 2 or more thin coats", hammered says "apply medium coats".
always think outside the box

John Lyons

Baking only speeds up the drying time.
No need to bake if you can wait a little and use a fan.
Lightly sand the box and primer then color spray.
Or just spray the color only...
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Toxic Tom

nascarbean_97

Quackzed

i only recomended it because its made to cover rust and in my experience is pretty user friendly stuff...
there may just be a 'rust covering' version of hammertone... maybee they're not all as user friendly?  :-\
for me it was easy to get good coverage, you can lay it on a bit thicker than normal paint without runs , and it dries pretty fast as well,
and due to the 'hammering' effect, little 'issues' or spots dont show up as easily...
i've also used it without primer as the 'rustoleum' brand hammertone is made to cover raw metal/rust, but like i said it MAY just be
a type of hammertone they offer that has that rust coverage ability, should say on the can.
anyway thats my experience...

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

davent

Hello,
I'd consider those products toxic, noxious chemicals and would only use them if you have access to a place to use them outside wearing a properly fitted chemical respirator. Without those precautions my head would be exploding soon to be followed by the loss of whatever was in my stomach.

I can safely use waterbased acrylic products, they may take more time but you can get great results.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Toxic Tom

John Lyons

Yes, that will work fine.
There is not right way to go.
Experiment and see what works and why.
Dave has good points...
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Paul Marossy

Get one already prefinished from www.pedalpartsplus.com  :icon_wink:

runmikeyrun

or powdercoated from small bear... they are very well done and hold up extremely well!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Processaurus

The powdercoated boxes look great and are much much more durable than anything that can be done with a rattle can.  It's been an amazing development in DIY pedal building that you can get them in so many colors and so cheaply.

amptramp

Or you could get them from the mothership in 1590B, trapezoid and 1590BB:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg_SBVer.htm

Paul Marossy

Quote from: amptramp on September 25, 2012, 10:43:42 AM
Or you could get them from the mothership in 1590B, trapezoid and 1590BB:

I just saw those the other day. I guess they finally caught on to the fact that people like to use their enclosures for DIY stuff?

AudioEcstasy

I would sand it smooth and use clear coat. Designs are your call.

axg20202

Quote from: Toxic Tom on September 24, 2012, 11:38:25 AM
So I can just spray my pedal with this stuff?

I would use the paint-on stuff instead. A lot less mess, safer to use and the coverage is great. Also, it's more cost-effective than spray cans. I use the British brand called Hammerite. The silver hammered finish comes up very nice. Just pre-drill all holes, then suspend the box using a wire coathanger. Apply it all in one coat, but not too thick. If you move quickly it will level out nicely, leaving no brush marks. The finish is very durable and resists chipping. If you must bake it on, do not bake it in an oven you use for cooking food!