anyone tried the iStomp?

Started by runmikeyrun, September 24, 2012, 04:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmikeyrun

They had a demo one set up at guitar center, so I downloaded the app, plugged in my iphone, and tried it.  The overdrive plugin sounded pretty good, but the app crashed twice in the 5 minutes I was trying it, both times when I tried to load the other pedal, a delay. 
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

bhill

You will go through a few iphones with this, stomping them and all... ;D

runmikeyrun

lol.  It's a neat concept for sure, I'm just not sure the iphone has the processing power to make it practical.  Give it a year or two
Bassist for Foul Spirits

AudioEcstasy

I demoed it at NAMM (along with many other products like it) and I think the whole concept is kind of ridiculous. By the time it's said and done, you've spent as much as it would cost to just get the gear you're trying to emulate.

The plugs do sound alright though.

runmikeyrun

If you already have the iphone it's not a big cost.  Buying one specifically to use with the istomp however doesn't make sense. 
Bassist for Foul Spirits

Willybomb

Seems a little pointless unless the pedal can be used without the iphone attached.  It's like the digitech ipb-10 - that thing only uses the iPad as an interface to change the effects/chain/parameters and actually works fine without it installed.  You just have to remember where you've stored each patch as the ipad doesn't do the actual processing....

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: runmdedicated to thelink=topic=99275.msg870143#msg870143 date=1348542818
lol.  It's a neat concept for sure, I'm just not sure the iphone has the processing power to make it practical.  Give it a year or two

The phone CPU should be more than enough. How much CPU power do you think line 6 or digitech effects have?

Granted the CPU won't be dedicated to only effects like the real pedals but the horse power is available. What matters is the coding
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

scuzzphut

The processing power of the iPhone is irrelevant.

It's only used to to buy and download the models into the pedal. Once downloaded, the pedal works just like any other.

....or were you guys just kidding ??