Dual "remote" Tap Tempos in one enclosure - questions

Started by dean owens, October 07, 2012, 05:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean owens

Hey all,

I have room for a 1590G on my board that's already drilled and waiting to be soldered.  Here's what I have.

Tap Tempo for a DD-20.  I have the NC switch already in there. (SW1)

Tap Tempo for the Tap Tempo Tremolo from this site.  As you know this is normally opened.  For this I have a DPDT momentary switch. (SW2)

At this point I have it drilled for metal switchcraft jacks.

What I'd like to do is have SW1 connected to J1 to tap for the DD-20.
Then I'd like to have the "opened" side of SW2 connected to J2 and the "closed" side connected to J1.  This way I could tap the tempo for both in the same time.

The things I'm worried about is having metal jacks rather than plastic.  Not sure if somehow having NC & NO switches both running through the chassis will mess things up.  With plastic jacks they'll be totally isolated from each other.  The other thing is, if both NC switches were attached to the same jack would opening one even register if the other was still closed?

So, can I...
(A) Use metal jacks or do I need plastic jacks since one will be opened and the other closed?
(B) Hook up SW1 and the NC side of SW2 both to J1 and have the DD-20 recognize the circuit opening when only one switch is being pushed?

dean owens

dumb question, poorly worded question, or no one who has read this knows either?  :icon_confused:

slacker

Metal jacks should work fine, for your idea to work the sleeves need to be connected to each other, so if you used plastic jacks you'd have to connect them anyway.
Connecting the two NC switches to the Boss side won't work, when they're closed the tip of the jack is connected to the sleeve, pressing the switch breaks the connection. As long as one switch is closed pressing the other one won't do anything. You could wire the two switches in series, so from the tip to one lug of the NC switch, from the other lug to the NC side of the DPDT, centre lug of the DPDT to the sleeve. That way pressing either switch will break the connection.

dean owens

you my friend is a genius.  ;D  my brain was stuck on parallel.  i'm not sure why i couldn't see series.  series fixes my problem.  so simple.

thanks a ton.  i appreciate it.

[edit] just thought of something else.  i had planned on using instrument cable for my hookup wire but i'm running a little short.  can i just use some lamp wire to run from my tap box to the tap input?  i can't think of why i can't since i won't be worried about rf getting in.  i just want to make sure.  sorry for the possibly annoyingly simple questions.  i've searched but didn't find anything on this.

dean owens

Quote from: dean owens on October 09, 2012, 09:53:53 PM
[edit] just thought of something else.  i had planned on using instrument cable for my hookup wire but i'm running a little short.  can i just use some lamp wire to run from my tap box to the tap input?  i can't think of why i can't since i won't be worried about rf getting in.  i just want to make sure.  sorry for the possibly annoyingly simple questions.  i've searched but didn't find anything on this.

giving an 18 hour bump because i'm going to be away from my computer for a few hours and have to solder this cable up tonight.  any reason i can't run speaker wire from the tap switch to the tap input on my dd-20?

thanks

slacker

dean owens

that's what i thought.  just looking for a bit of confirmation.  i'll be in a time crunch later tonight and don't want to do my work twice  ;)

thanks again.