Best books on guitar effects design?

Started by daryl, October 15, 2012, 07:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daryl

What are the best books on guitar effects circuit design? if there are any good ones out there... Looking for an xmas present for someone.

Mark Hammer

There's not really anything out there explicitly about designing guitar effects, as such.  There are certainly some very helpful projects books that offer suggestions for mods to those projects, and explain what the sections of each project do.  But there is nothing that gives extensive suppoort for how to come up with something new, since there isn't a whole lot that IS new that anyone would want to tell you about and risk losing a marketable idea.

With that comment, if you want to know how to make your own pedals work the way you want them to, I'll direct you to "the classics". being Craig Anderton and Robert Penfold's books, the very helpful information at both RG Keen's (www.geofex.com) and Jack Orman's  (www.muzique.com) sites, the Stompboxology newsletters at Charlie Barth's site (www.moosapotamus.net), Brian Wampler's books on modding pedals, and the various DIY project sites like BYOC, Tonepad, General Guitar Gadgets, and Madbean.

Now, if it is someone whose background knowledge you only have a vague inkling about, and you want to get them something pedal-related, Analog Man's Guide to Vintage Effects is highly valued as a compendium of all the classic pedals.  Sometimes, the most expedient route to design is a review of the past.

soupbone

The  above  books  Mark  are  really  good.I  have  the  indyguitarist(brian  wampler.One  of  the  book  mark  mentioned) book  on  how  to  build  guitar  effects.You  can  probably  get  it  through  him(wampler  effects),or  i've  seen  some  on  ebay  for  $20 u.s.