Crowdsourcing fuzz suggestions

Started by Mark Hammer, October 17, 2012, 12:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I certainly won't diss any of the tube-to-FET circuits you allude to.  Just keep in mind I have a Boss ROD-10 with 5 overdrive/distortion circuits, all discrete-based, and a Line 6 M5 which has all the distortions found in the DM4 distortion modeller, and a whack of pedals and distortion modules.  I've got overdrives, distortions, and fuzzes coming out my nether regions.  This project was more to "fill in the gaps".  My exultation over the HP was because it filled a gap and one I never realized I had.

oldschoolanalog

Something based on a 4 Quadrant Multiplier maybe?
Or a Foxx Tone Machine?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

tca

Tube Sound Overdrive by Arsenio Novo with gain and volume control (2 knob). Sorry, not a fuzz!
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

garcho

what about a piece of paper over a comb?  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Mark Hammer

Quote from: garcho on October 19, 2012, 12:00:41 PM
How the heck do you true-bypass that?

wavley

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

alparent

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 19, 2012, 12:23:18 PM
Quote from: garcho on October 19, 2012, 12:00:41 PM
How the heck do you true-bypass that?

Spit on it ....... it stops vibrating.

Or maybe a mouth hard vibrating on your teeth, that always gives me a good buzz!

Mark Hammer

One of the great things about paper&comb is that if you back off on the mouth volume, it cleans up nicely.  Very transparent:icon_wink:

Lurco

Mount a (tiny) speaker in front of the paper? ("Kazoo-Fuzz")

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Nasse

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/easter_egg_for_you_all.jpg.html

Bit too big and heavy, and good drivers are very expensive.

But what if you take the kazoo membrane and drive it with cellphone miniature speaker?
  • SUPPORTER

AudioEcstasy

No Tubescreamer variant? This is a very cool idea, and one I'd like to try myself some time! Best of luck.

cortezthekiller

I think the fuzz section of the roland double beat is awesome. When I built it instead of a three way rotary tone selector I used a big muff style tone control pot. The fuzz can get really messy sounding and huge, or be overdriven and buzzy.

Jaicen_solo

Mark, I really think you'd be remiss in not including a Fuzz Factory. You could chop it down to two knobs if necessary (Gate & Stab), drive wouldn't be too useful without an external volume control.

If not, perhaps something like a Rangemaster?

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on November 28, 2012, 03:35:20 PM
Mark, I really think you'd be remiss in not including a Fuzz Factory. You could chop it down to two knobs if necessary (Gate & Stab), drive wouldn't be too useful without an external volume control.

If not, perhaps something like a Rangemaster?
A Fuzz Factory clone is something that probably merits its own enclosure, and quite frankly reducing it from 5 to 2 knobs is penning in a racehorse.

A Rangemaster is nice, but needs to really feed a tube amp directly.  I'm working on the assumption that nothing in my "dozen" needs any particular sort of amp.  besides, I've tried to make Rangemasters on numerous occasions, and can't seem to find the right transistor for it.  I did once, but sold it to a guy, thinking I could hit that bulls-eye again.  Alas, twas not to be.
Quote from: cortezthekiller on November 28, 2012, 03:18:44 PM
I think the fuzz section of the roland double beat is awesome. When I built it instead of a three way rotary tone selector I used a big muff style tone control pot. The fuzz can get really messy sounding and huge, or be overdriven and buzzy.
I'll look into that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jaicen_solo

Ermm, ok, but why haven't you included a Fuzz Face then??
It is the definitive two knob fuzz!

pinkjimiphoton

wouldn't a two knob fuzz factory just be a fuzzface?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Jazznoise

Bluebox style Octave down/ fuzz? A single D-Type gives you the one octave one instead of 2.
Expressway To Yr Null

Jaicen_solo

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on November 28, 2012, 04:55:52 PM

wouldn't a two knob fuzz factory just be a fuzzface?

No no no no!

If anything, it's closer to a tone bender, but it's a completely different beast.
It's very modern, very versatile. I will never be without one, and I have several!

pinkjimiphoton

i'll have to check it out then, thanks!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr