New to converting scematics to perfboard, can someone check my work?

Started by Poisonwater, October 20, 2012, 05:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poisonwater

So I found a schematic of a boost circuit I wanted to build. I built it in DIY layout creator but I'm not sure I did it 100% right. I believe I put the transistor in backwards, among other things lol.

Here's the image:

Thank you so much, I'm new to electrical design lol

soupbone

What  i  do  is  draw  out  using  the  schematic,a  blueprint  of  how  you  want  everything  to  layout  on  the  board.It  doesn't  matter  how  the  layout  is  designed,Just  as  long  as  you  know  what  all  the  symbols  are,and  what  part  is  connecting  to  another.

Poisonwater

Quote from: soupbone on October 20, 2012, 05:47:13 PM
What  i  do  is  draw  out  using  the  schematic,a  blueprint  of  how  you  want  everything  to  layout  on  the  board.It  doesn't  matter  how  the  layout  is  designed,Just  as  long  as  you  know  what  all  the  symbols  are,and  what  part  is  connecting  to  another.

Well that pretty much is the blueprint/board I want to build, I just wanted someone to confirm I hadn;t screwed anything up lol

soupbone

Quote from: Poisonwater on October 20, 2012, 05:48:51 PM

Well that pretty much is the blueprint/board I want to build, I just wanted someone to confirm I hadn;t screwed anything up lol
Everything seems to be correct.The 10uf is polarized,so i can't tell on the drawing which is the - or +.I would breadboard it first that way you don't have to solder anything. :icon_biggrin:

Poisonwater

Quote from: soupbone on October 20, 2012, 06:08:58 PM

Everything seems to be correct.The 10uf is polarized,so i can't tell on the drawing which is the - or +.I would breadboard it first that way you don't have to solder anything. :icon_biggrin:

Thank you so much, one last thing, where does the ground for the input jacks go?

soupbone

Quote from: Poisonwater on October 20, 2012, 06:12:13 PM
Quote from: soupbone on October 20, 2012, 06:08:58 PM

Thank you so much, one last thing, where does the ground for the input jacks go?
No problem.Are you using 2 mono jacks?It looks like that from the drawing.The sleeve from the input jack goes to ground.Anywhere on the board is fine as long as it's not connected to anything.

Poisonwater

No problem.Are you using 2 mono jacks?It looks like that from the drawing.The sleeve from the input jack goes to ground.Anywhere on the board is fine as long as it's not connected to anything.
[/quote]

Yeah, I planned on it. The only disadvantage with a mono input is that you cant have the "wont turn on without jack connected" feature right?

soupbone

Quote from: Poisonwater on October 20, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

Yeah, I planned on it. The only disadvantage with a mono input is that you cant have the "wont turn on without jack connected" feature right?
[/quote]This from beavisaudio will help; http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/

Poisonwater

Quote from: soupbone on October 20, 2012, 06:33:22 PM

This from beavisaudio will help; http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/
[/quote]

oh ok I get it now. Thanks!

soupbone

Quote from: Poisonwater on October 20, 2012, 06:51:58 PM

This from beavisaudio will help; http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/

[/quote]You bet!

Electron Tornado

You have a couple of mistakes.

The diode D2 looks like it's shorted. Connect it vertically between the strips that the gate and source are connected.

C2 looks like it's shorted as well. If you want to mount it parallel to a trace you need a trace break between its legs.

You have some wires and components going to the same holes. You're going to have a tough time putting a wire and the leg of C1 in the same hole. You can mount C1 vertically and add a trace break between it and the transistor so you have somewhere to connect a wire. As another example, the red wire connected to R4 - move it to one of the other holes on that same copper strip.

Not sure your LED is going to work (or work once, briefly). It looks like it needs a current limiting resistor.

For the wires - try using different colors for each one. It will be easier to see where each wire goes and be less likely to make a mistake.

There are some blue lines that show connections which might help you see what you're doing, but think of each copper strip as a big connection. You can eliminate a few of those blue lines and clean up the layout considerably.

For help with wiring off board components, download the plans for a pedal from General Guitar Gadgets or Build Your Own Clone and see how they do it.

I hope this helps and isn't too confusing. Welcome to a great hobby!
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

bluebunny

@ET: I believe the layout shown is intended to be perf, despite the obvious stripboard graphic!  I too can't wait to see that LED in action.  Briefly.  ;)

@OP: everything else ET says is valid and is good advice.  It'll help you enormously in the long-run.  Welcome to the addition...   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

soupbone

Quote from: Poisonwater on October 20, 2012, 06:51:58 PM

Ooops!I guess i didn't look at the board good enough. :-[  Sorry about that!I hope the beavis link helped.

[/quote]