delayed start when hitting the stomp switch

Started by mordechai, November 04, 2012, 10:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

I just wired up a tonebender type fuzz circuit.  When I hit the stomp switch, the signal cuts out and then, about a second and a half later, it comes back in with the effect on.  What might be causing this delay?

R O Tiree

It is a PNP circuit, yes?  If you've gone for the "standard" negative-ground hook-up, then you're going to have to re-wire the power supplies to it, I think.

This diagram should make it clear... http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sw_3pdt_tb_pnp_dcj.pdf
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

R.G.

Basically, something has to charge up til it hits its correct operating bias point. R.O. is right about where to look first.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mordechai

Well, it is PNP but I've wired it properly for PNP.  It DOES power up, and it does yield a fuzzed sound...but only after a 1-2 second delay.  I've checked everything and can't identify the problem, but it's not in the off-board wiring...I'm doing what I always do, and what always works.  Could it be a faulty component, like a faulty electrolytic cap?

R O Tiree

It's going to get confusing with 2 threads on the same subject.

As chi boy said in your other thread, get the pedal in bypass mode, then measure the voltage on the board from +ve rail to -ve rail.

If it's not 9V, then you didn't wire it up correctly.  Bear in mind that the huge 22µF smoothing cap will store 9V for a little while after switching state in this case.

If it is 9V, then there's something else going on and we need voltages at other points on the board, as per the FAQs.  We'll need voltages in both bypass mode and "effect" mode (but with no input signal, as AC signals will change things - have the guitar plugged in, but Vol knob turned right down to 0).  We need to look at the DC case first.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

mordechai

RO, I apologize for the double thread.  An error on my end.

As it happens, I figured out the problem.  Resistors at the input stage were placed in the wrong spot in front of the input cap.  I corrected it and it works fine now.