MXR Phase 90 Strange Power Issue?

Started by nascarbean_97, November 08, 2012, 09:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarbean_97

So my buddy gave me his phase 90 to fix, and it's freaking me out a little.
first off, it works fine bypassed, but then shuts down when switched on, no LED, no sound at all.
When plugged into a daisy chain with other pedals, all the other pedals cease to have power going to them. Everything is silent when switched on, no LED, no anything.

Does this just sound like the zener going out?

JRB

Sounds like a short to ground if you ask me.

Kesh

if the zener died the thing would not kill everything else. there's a biggish resistor between +9V and the zener.

so yeah like JRB says. get your DMM set to continuity and have a poke.

zombiwoof

Does it do the same thing with a battery?.
Al

darron

Quote from: zombiwoof on November 10, 2012, 12:30:54 PM
Does it do the same thing with a battery?.
Al

I think most battery packets warn not to short the battery out :)
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

nascarbean_97

9v and ground are not shorted. This is pretty odd... Anybody have any suggestions?

Seljer

it switches off the entire chain when powered from an adapter, but all the pedals on the adapter function when the phaser is bypassed?

Mark Hammer

The power chain is behaving as if there is one or more things in the overall chain that are reverse polarity at the jack.  So, if one takes any single pedal out of the overall rig and pops the box open to check for shorts, everything will appear fine, but somehow, when they are all plugged in, the shaft of one or more power plugs (and corresponding tip/s) is connecting +9v and gnd.

nascarbean_97

The pedals on the same adapter don't work no matter what when the phase 90 is on the same adapter. And it does not work with its own adapter or from a battery. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Fender3D

Replace the protection diode then.
Quote from: nascarbean_97 on November 14, 2012, 10:51:55 AM
The pedals on the same adapter don't work no matter what when the phase 90 is on the same adapter....
You must have a short somewhere for this to happen... Unless anyone messed with the board random reversing parts or wires....
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

nascarbean_97

I just found out that someone else fiddled around with it before it made it to me...

Anybody have a hi-res pic of a red pcb phase 90?  :icon_question: :icon_mrgreen: